top of page

Acceptable Documents Guide

Identification Requirements

TPE requires two forms of identification in respect for all in-scope individuals if our Standard Anti-Money Laundering process is followed, should the Enhanced process need to be invoked then additional identification will be required. A valid proof of identity and a proof of current residential address will be required for those individuals including; 


  • Individuals that are not investing through a Company or Trust

For Ltd and LLP companies

  • Shareholders/Directors/Controllers 

For Trusts

  •  Settlors/Trustees/Protectors/Beneficial Owners

Where TPE meets a client face to face, TPE will photograph documents and will certify the documents. If TPE are unable to meet the client then the relevant documents must be provided to TPE pre-certified, as set out under the ‘Certification of Documents’ and ‘Certification Requirements’ sections of this document


Proof of Identification 

We prefer to see the original document, but if this is not possible, copies must be certified as a true copy of the original.

The primary form of identification must bear a photograph and signature:

  • full UK or foreign passport that has the Machine readable zone

  • full UK or foreign photo card driving licence

  • photo card national identity card that has the Machine readable zone

The passport, driving licence or national identity card must be valid, up to date and be signed by the holder.


Proof of Address

The second form of identification must confirm the individual’s permanent residential address:

  • Full UK photo card driving licence bearing residential address (if not already used as your proof of identity)

  • UK or foreign bank credit card or bank statement (dated within the last three months and not printed from the internet)

  • UK mortgage statement (dated within the last 12 months and not printed from the internet)

  • UK council tax bill (for the current year)

  • letter/bill from utility company (less than 3 months old, except for water bills, which must relate to the current charging period). The letter you receive must confirm you receive a service from the company and cannot be printed from the internet. Mobile phone bills are not accepted

  • UK TV licence letter or Direct Debit schedule (less than 12 months old). This should confirm your name, address and existence of a TV licence

  • voters roll search

We do not accept utility bills printed off the internet. Online bank statements may only be accepted if stamped and certified bearing the account holder’s address.

Mobile telephone bills, store card statements and any documents showing a ‘care of address’ or non- residential address cannot be accepted.


Certification of Documents

People who can certify documents are:

  • a qualified lawyer or attorney, registered with the relevant national professional body

  • a qualified accountant, registered with the relevant national professional body

  • a notary public, a member of the judiciary, a senior civil servant or a serving police officer

  • a director, manager or bank counter staff of a bank or an authorised credit or financial institution and stamped with an official stamp

  • a British Embassy, consulate or high commission officer in the country of issue

  • a chartered secretary, registered with the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators

  • a chartered legal executive registered with the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives

  • a Commissioner for Oaths

  • a licensed conveyancer

  • an employee of the UK Post Office

Please note that individuals within the above categories in most countries are acceptable but exceptions may apply.


Certification Requirements

The person giving the certification must use a firm’s stamp or, if not available, provide an accompanying letter on company letterhead confirming which documents have been certified.

They must also provide the certification (including the firm’s stamp if used) directly on the copy of each document including:

  • ‘certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’

  • print his/her name clearly in capitals

  • sign and date the copy document

  • clearly indicate his or her position or capacity

  • provide the name and address of the firm that they are employed by

  • provide the name of the institution that they are a member of together with their membership number

Documents that have been certified on the reverse of the document’s copy are not acceptable. The certifiers need to certify the pages that contain the copies of your documents.

For security reasons if sending originals of the above documents through the post, please ensure you use Special/Recorded delivery as we cannot be held responsible for their safe receipt. Documents should be sent to: Trusted Property Experts Fenlake House, Fenlake Business Centre, Fengate, Peterborough, England, PE1 5BQ.

Please note that independent certification is a TPE requirement and we may have no option but to return documents that are not certified in accordance with our guidelines above.

bottom of page